Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• {The List} Scenario/Map Editor (v.2)

Introduction

Here's the Scenario/Map Editor section of the list; dealing with all modability and customizability and rules editing for the Map Editor as well as all possible Game Modifications and Scenarios and additions that Firaxis might wish to add to Civ IV.

Thanks! -List Threadmaster DarkCloud

Summary

Basically, the major desire of the scenario creating community is for Civilization IV to be more Scenario-building friendly than Civ III.
    One of the major desires was for the limitations on population limits and map size to be raised or destroyed altogether since in these days of 3 GHZ+ computers and computers with 512MB+ RAM, most computers can handle that sort of power.
    Therefore, most people desired "more" customizability and "more" power.

---
    NOTE TO SELF: Logged thru 20-07-04

Related Threads:
    {The List} Scenario/Map Editor http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=103820 DarkCloud
    Civ2 editor style or Civ3? http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=105404 Nuclear Master (LOGGED THRU HENRIK 03-01-2004 20:27)

---
    Index
    ---

1.0.0 The Scenario Editor
    2.0.0 Scripting Language
    3.0.0 Map Editor
    4.0.0 Maps
    5.0.0 Resources
    6.0.0 Unit/Wonder/Improvement Modability
    7.0.0 Editor Support
    8.0.0 Civlopedia

---
    The Ideas
    ---

---
    1.0.0 The Scenario Editor
    ---

1.1.0 Basic Design Philosophy
    *I think the civ2 editor works better for creating scenarios, because you could basically make any concievable starting position, but it's not as good for editing rules and stuff.

They should be hybridized somehow. Perhaps there should be a rules editor, and then you can load a rules file and make the scenario in a civ2 style editor.
    -Jaguar Warrior

1.2.0 The Cheat Mode
    *The Game needs a Cheat-Mode option for easy modification either "in game" (a la Civ II) or in a special scenario-editor image screen.
    *The Cheat Mode should also be included in the regular game as a 'sandbox mode' for newbies or people who enjoy to cheat.
    -Jaguar Warrior

1.3.0 No Limits
    *It would be very nice indeed if the various limits (maximum city population, maximum number of units, maximum map size, maximum number of civilization, maximum number of unit types, maximum number of terrain types, etc.) were set very, very high indeed. (ed- Especially since computers nowadays are much more powerful than computers in the past.)
    These limits can hamper the creation of scenarios, partucularly large scenarios - I certainly had that problem in Civilization 2 - The Gold Edition.
    -Roman

1.4.0 In-Game Editor
    *In Civilization 3, I never even bothered creating scenarios. The out of game editor was actually a major turn-off, since it is frequently much easier to create scenarios through a combination of playing and editing/modification than through an editor alone. Hence, I would strongly recommend an in-game scenario editor for Civ IV.
    -Roman

1.5.0 Flags
    *I want to be able to make national flags for nations in scenarios
    -POTUS

1.6.0 Tierd Maps
    *I'd really like if they put back the ability to play on multi-tiered maps, like in Civ2ToT, although it might not be realistic to have them permanently fixed together (teleporting from one hex brings you automatically to the same numbered hex on any map you can go to); but perhaps there can be designated 'link-points' between the maps like in Sim City 2004 or in Heroes of Might and Magic III?
    -Jawn Henry

1.7.0 Altering Maps Slightly Still Allows Players to get in Hall of Fame
    *Be able to alter city lists but still be in the hall of fame.
    -Brent

----
    2.0.0 Scripting Language
    ----

2.0.1 Scripting Language Like "Empire Earth's"
    *The game should have a scripting language a la that included in Sierra's Empire Earth. If the game could have a language of that power, with the ability to trigger events that occur at certain dates, or that occur when certain actions are taken, then scenario-makers will feel more empowered and enjoy the game more since they can create more realistic scenarios.
    (example: If Berlin falls- then Division I and II of German Tanks surrender {even if they weren't produced in Berlin} and their parts can be scuffled and sold in the nearest allied city for more goldpieces.)
    -Rasbelin,DarkCloud

2.0.2 Scripted Events
    *There should be scripted events
    -et. al.

2.0.2 Triggers
    *The Scenario Editor should also have the option to trigger mutliple actions with one event.
    (example: Germany attacks France which causes both the US and the English to auto-declare war)
    -Mongoloid Cow

2.0.3 Trigger Limits
    *The Scenario Editor has an option which allows the player to forbid alliances from happening as well as peace agreements.
    However, the editor should allow scenario creators to put a limit on the time when alliances and peace agreements can be made.
    (For example: "From 1940-1945 the Germans cannot ally with the French... however in 1946 in this hypothetical scenario, General LeMond Le Monde turns traitor in Tunisia and allies with the Germans as a puppet state)
    DarkCloud

----
    3.0.0 The Map Editor
    ----

----
    4.0.0 Maps
    ----

North America; South America; MesoAmerica;
    North Atlantic including parts of North America, Europe, and Africa;
    Europe; Mediterranean including parts of Europe, Africa, Middle East;
    Africa;
    Middle East;
    Asia; South Asia;
    Indian Ocean including parts of Africa, Asia, Australia;
    East Asia;
    A large map of the Pacific including New Zealand and parts of Asia, Australia, North America;
    The World in at least five sizes
    Chiron in Earth Terrain (ed- As a possible Easter Egg?)
    -Brent

*Surface-Area Correct Earth Maps
    -Ribannah

*The Editor needs a zoom function
    -BarnDoor

*Fix the weirdness civ3 has with the bottom edge of maps.
    -Skywalker

*Include a map with Earth's coastlines, but all of the land is grassland.
    -Brent

*The world as seen on old, inaccurate maps.
    -Brent

*Include official scenarios with major rules variations
    -Brent

*Perhaps include some sort of campaign scenario; like in Empire Earth or in Age of Empires that takes a nation through 5-10 maps on its conquest of the world?
    In order to alleviate tensions about 'favoritism' in picking certain earthly nations, perhaps one nation from Europe, one from Africa, one from the Americas, and one from Asia could be chosen?
    At the very least, this might be a good idea for an expansion pack: "Warring Empires" or something of the like.
    -DarkCloud

---
    5.0.0 Resources
    ---

5.0.1 Pollution Rates
    *Pollution rates should be editable in each city, and for each square on the map, as well as the global pollution rate.
    DarkCloud

---
    6.0.0 Unit/Wonder/Improvement Modability
    ---

*Unit and Improvement builders, similar to SimCity SCURK and BAT...
    -Jarred

---
    7.0.0 Editor Support
    ---

*Have more information about the editor in the manual.
    -Brent

*Release a book with suggestions of things to do with the editor, such as civs with traits, cities, and leaders.
    -Brent

*With each new expansion, include updated versions of previous scenarios.
    -Brent

*Host a "Map of the Month" contest at a Firaxis Website to promote the game. Or alternatively, release a new map each month.
    Amazingly enough, these overtures to the fan community actually sell games- personally I purchased Rollercoaster Tycoon, Total Annihilation, and Neverwinter Nights becuase of the extent to which those games' corporations had gone to support them.
    -DarkCloud

*Have an editor wizard. Have it tell you how balanced civs you create are. (Ed: In essence "Map Verification") Let it tell you how well your tech tree flows, and point out loose ends. Have it decide which scenarios are hall- of- fame- worthy.
    -Brent

*I personally would like the game to generate a flow chart for technologies or unit relationships that could be printed out or displayed on a website- sort of like "THE SIMS" viewer for families.
    That would be amazing and would save hours for scenario-designers.
    -DarkCloud

---
    8.0.0 Civlopedia

*Be able to type dialogue and civilopedia text directly into the editor.
    -Brent

Conclusion

FILL IN

Respectfully Compiled: DarkCloud
    With special thanks to: Asmodean, MarkG
    Last edited by DarkCloud; August 8, 2004, 21:05.
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

*Place Holder*
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

*Final Place Holder*
      -->Visit CGN!

Comment

I dont know if I'm too late to post on this topic, but I'm gonna have my say ... even if nobody listens.

The editor should/ could include premade unit and resource icons and animations that aren't used in the 'standard' game but are readily availible for editing.
        Thank god, there are no KENDER in Civ3.

Comment

No, don't worry, you're not too late. Please, keep contributing if you like
          -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Heck, just for those of us that are 'technology-declined', you might even include a brief tutorial on how to use the editor.
            Thank god, there are no KENDER in Civ3.

Comment

bumping this since it's more complete.
              -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Bring back scripting. The ability to structure events and gameplay according to a predefined plan was a very nice kind of thing. It was too bad that it wasn't in Civ3.
                Now just don't go forming any angry mobs now, you hear?

Comment

Things that I missed in Civ3 editor:

- fortify units in editor and give them orders ("go to", for example)
                  - loading units on ships with editor
                  - preset diplomatic agreements in editor (trade, non permanent war, ...)
                  - much more...
                  Arne · Das Civilization Forum

Comment

Map selection should work like in Civ2. You should be able to position custom civs on any map. You should be able to alter any map.

Comment

The map editor must have a copy and paste function!

Comment

Kraken beat me to it. YES! Cut 'n paste!

I want to be able to grab a continent from one map, and stick it on a new one and go from there.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Be able to turn off major features of the game, like military leaders, continental congress, religion, combat, cities, technological advancement, wonders, etc. Turning off military leaders would be good for civs with limited available names.

Comment

I agree with these demands or whatever.

Originally posted by Colonel Kraken
                            The map editor must have a copy and paste function!

That's what I always wanted to have

One very important plea when it comes to Civ4 scenarios,
                            IT MEANS A LOT TO ME AND NOT ONLY TO ME I GUESS
                            Civ2 scenarios should be able to be upgraded to Civ4 ones without any problems, without writing all the events, creating the map, placing the cities, drawing the units etc once again.
                            Just click - upgraded
                            This way You could incorporate Civ2 community into Civ4 as long as Civ4 would have all the options Civ2 had
                            and was simply a good game.

"I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                            Middle East!

Comment

Is that possible?

Maps: Coastlines

Be able to set the shape of a coastline between two tilesthe way you want it, to accurately represent a specific part of the real world. Be able to set the shape of a one tile island, like Cyprus or Gotland for example.

Comment

Working...
                              X